Saturday, November 24, 2012

<------ Click on Chip-In Button to the Left---Help Memphis Refugees at Christmas Time

Dear Friends and Family,

As many of you know, my parents and Ia have worked closaely with a group of refugees from the African country of Burundi for five years. Displaced in the past by genocide and civil war in their home country, these families came to Memphis to find better lives...but they haven't found that yet. They still live in poverty, and every day is a struggle for their hard-working parents financially, despite public assistance and steady work. The truth is it's very difficult to find a job when your only languages are Kirundi and Swahili, and on the flipside, it's difficult to learn English when you spend your waking hours working to provide for your family.
a
As you can imagine, these families' current situation makes it difficult to provide daily necessities, much less Christmas. I would like to help them to do both. I have approximately 28 days to raise Christmas money for these children, the majority of which attend my school.
My mother, Vickie, during our very first Christmas season with the kids. 

Just like last year, I do not want to buy toys. These families live in extremely cramped conditions (think 12 in a small 3 room apartment). I want to help them with necessities, such as deodorant, socks, underwear, toothpaste and toothbrushes---things these children do not have on a regular basis. I'd like to be able to give their parents' each a gift certificate to Kroger so that they can buy food for Christmas and necessities such as laundry detergent. And finally, I'd like to provide a little fun: the girls love, love, love new clothes, and I'd love for them to be able to pick out an outfit each at somewhere inexpensive like Target or Rainbow. I'd also like to use the money to take the kids to activities such as skating, movies, and possibly camping. Please know our goal is not to promote materialism, but to give these kids things they need and provide some much- needed fun.

I know times are difficult right now, but every little bit helps. If you can't manage financial donations, we'd love it if you'd keep us and these families in your thoughts and prayers. You came through for these kids in such a big way last year. We hope you will considering doing so again.

My sincerest thanks,
Anna Bolton and family

P.S. If you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, please feel free to email me at arbolton@gmail.com.

P.P.S. If you do not feel secure about donating online but would like to donate, we would also appreciate checks. Please email me at the address above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment