Friday, November 29, 2013

Beach Day

Some of you may remember that back in 2005, I worked for about eight months at a gourmet food, wine, and bakery store in Rockport, Maine. At the time, I had just left the magazine business in Memphis, and I was trying to figure out where to go from there. I couldn't have picked a better job or place to live. Working at the Market Basket reminded me of what a healthy work environment with fair, considerate bosses was like; I got to learn even more about food and wine, one of my greatest areas of interest; and I got to meet some fantastic people, all while enjoying the beautiful rocky mid-coast of Maine. Jane, the co-owner of the Market Basket, was one of those people. We've since stayed friends via Facebook, and when I visit Maine, I try to meet up with her, Denny, and Hanna (my other two friends from the good ole MB). Having had some personal adoption experience herself, Jane has taken a special interest in my adoption, and she was so excited to meet my kids during their first trip up to Maine. She showed up with a cake and some wonderful gifts for the kids on our second night in town, and later on in the week, she invited the kids to come check out her beach in a town just north of where we were. The kids had a BLAST! They had seen the ocean previously in Portland (Thanks, Hanna!), but they had not dipped their toes into the icy water yet or played in the sand. Yesterday, they got to do so for a blissful two hours on a chilly, but sunny day. Here are some pictures from our visit with Jane and her husband, as well as some of the kids' moments on the beach. Thanks to the Carrs for a wonderful day! 

The "bridge" to the beach 

Finding things on the beach with Jane's husband 

Practicing Kina's letters in the sand 

First time putting her toes in an ocean 

Enjoying himself so much! 

Running from the ice cold "mayi" (water) and shrieking in delight all the while. 



Countless cartwheels in the sand 

The view from the idyllic cabin. Heaven!

Our wonderful hosts, Jane and her husband Alan.

We couldn't have asked for a better place for the kids to play. Thanks, Carrs! We'll be back as long as you'll let us keep visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment