Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Safari, Day 3, Part 1

July 1, 2013: How is it possible that our safari keeps getting better and better and better? Today, we had our wake up call at 6 am, breakfast at 6:30, and we left with Shadrack and Josphat at 7 for the Masai Mara Reserve. Naomi and Tim joined us, and we were all a little surprised that, upon entering the reserve, we saw nothing for about forty minutes. Josphat and Shadrack explained to us that, unlike the conservancy where the camp is located, which is semi-arid, the Mara Reserve is a savannah. The animals know better than to stand in its grasses, which are very tall at this time of year, because they can't see their predators as well and it would be very dangerous for them. But within forty minutes of entering the park, Josphat spotted something we never could have seen: a wheaten-colored male lion laying down in the wheaten-colored grass. Totally camouflaged, and the grass was tall. The lion was laying right next to the road, so we pulled over. We actually pulled right up next to him, so that I was within ten feet of him and on the side of the car where I was right next to him. He laid there, we took pictures, and it was quite lovely...until he decided to start looking me in the eye. Staring at me. I didn't like that, so I stood up, and as soon as I did, he stood up too!!!! Shadrack barked "Sit down!" and not only did I sit down in my seat; I scrambled down to the floor of the Land Cruiser, yelling out obscenities! I believe this will forever be known as the day on which I was "almost killed by a lion." For the rest of the trip, I was nervous of big cats, and if you ask me, I had reason to be! (If you ask the rest of the people who were there, maybe not so much.) 

--Anna 

No comments:

Post a Comment